Wednesday 12 December 2012

Driving into Walls


JournalWord: This isn't a throne.

***

I flex my arms, unsatisfied by the muscles I lack. I’m a runner, not a body builder. 
Or I was. 

My hands grip the edge of the tires and I push and pull the wheels for momentum before I heave the wheels forward. The unpracticed motion propels me down the hall too fast, faster than I can control, and with a hiccuped squeal of the tires, I crash into a wall. 

My palms save me from falling, suctioning themselves to the wall, and I push off, landing the wheels back on all four. The swerve of rubber leaves an unsteady streak on the floor and the soreness of my hands whispers my defeat. I wait, holding my breath for someone to come check the noise, but no one comes. 

I slowly exhale, even though I would rather scream. It’s not fair. I slam my fists into my lap, and a tear pricks the corner of my eye when I don't feel anything in response to the blow. My legs are numb, frozen in a state that will never feel pain again. My fists press into my cold thighs, knuckles most likely bruising the skin under my hospital issued pajamas but I don’t care. I want to feel them. I want to feel the knitted muscles of my legs straining against gravity. I want to stretch my legs until I feel my ligaments burn. I want to stand on my own two feet again. 

My knees blur in the haze of streaming tears, and no matter how hard I rub my eyes, the waterfall won’t dam. I give up, cursing how pathetic I feel, how trapped I am in this wheelchair. I grab the wheels again, pushing gently on the soles so my palms don’t smart into blisters. 

I can’t see clearly so when I turn, my right wheel jerks and collides into the corner, switching direction before tipping forward and sliding me face first onto the floor. My hands sting from the impact and I groan when I shift, only to have the wheelchair press painfully into my upper spine. 

The strap is still confining me to the seat, and I feel like I’m being haunted by an execution chair. I bend my arms and struggle to flip the chair over, only to have my elbows collapse in exhaustion. I slam back onto the floor and I just lay there, cheek kissing the tiles, waiting for the sun to rise, waiting for someone to free me from this sentence. I’m giving up once and for all. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t keep fighting this ball and chain. 
***

I am so done with exams, and now I'm finally free! Time to really relax and enjoy a break :)

I'm going to be fiddling with this blog, (maybe posting pictures of my journals... :D) and definitely posting more stories! Input is always encouraged so drop a comment!

Best of holiday blessings to you! Enjoy every last drop of freedom (I definitely will be!!),
~mera!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your reaction to the story is highly anticipated. I'd love to know what you think so feel free to comment and criticize. (And suggestions are always welcome and considered!)

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.